In September 2015, Intetics attended the Internet of Things (IoT) Congress in Barcelona, Spain. The things we saw will transform the world as we know it – one day.
The IoT Solutions World Congress conference attracted 4,500 visitors and 90 companies from 53 countries. The program was packed with 120 top level executives from companies such as Microsoft, GE, Intel, IBM, Amazon and Vodafone, who shared their IoT insights and predictions.
WHAT WE LEARNED:
WHERE WILL IOT BE USED:
- Predictive maintenance (cars, airplanes, machinery)
- Urban management (aka smart cities)
- Agriculture (every plant has a sensor, every cow has a dozen of sensors…)
- Marketing and Sales (data from our smart phones and social media become “human sensors”, plus other wearables)
- Manufacturing (a new wave of “smart” manufacturing technologies is coming)
FACTS, DETAILS AND EXAMPLES
By 2020, 90% of cars will be connected, human participation in driving will be reduced, and eventually eliminated. Tweet #IOTisComing
The father of IoT is Mark Weiser, who predicted an interconnected world in 1991 – before the Web was up!
Intel open sourced its big data and hardware platform to help inventors along their journey towards the connected world. They call it Intel Edison.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
IoT will lead to new standards and platforms (APIs, data analysis) in the nearest future.
Practically all platforms are going to be open source as there is very little possibility to monopolize the IoT market by any, even the biggest, company.
Expect a new wave of productivity growth with overall improvement in quality of life (but, a lot of professions, like driver, are likely to die).
Images via IOT Solutions World Congress.